“Huron” canoes were built by a group of different canoe builders living in a village north of Quebec City. This “First People village” is located just and was first settled by the Wendat/Hurons in 1697. The reserve took on many different names over time; including Lorette, and Huron Village before finally adopting the name Wendake in 1986.
This reserve has over the last 300 years been home to many canoe builders, small operations as well as fair sized ones. Four families (Bastien, Groslouis, Sioui and Picard) seem to have been involved as owners or employees in almost all of these companies. Canoes from these builders (listed below) were sometimes also sold by and under the Eatons and Sears names.
– Bastien Bros., Village Huron
– Big Chief Canoes, (a Bastien Bros. trademark)
– YAHO, G & C Groslouis Enr., Village Huron
– Gagnon Bros. Limited, Loretteville
– Gagnon & Jobidan, Loretteville
– Cagnon Canoe Reg’d, Loretteville
– Bastien Industries, Lorette
– Louis A. Picard, Village-des-Hurons
and many others.
You Might Also Like
Vancouver IslandCanoe Repair and Restoration Vancouver Island Canoe Repair | Campbell River Canoe Repair | Chemainus Canoe Repair | Comox Canoe Repair | Courtenay Canoe Repair | Duncan Canoe Repair | Gabriola Island Canoe Repair | Gold River Canoe Repair | Gulf Islands Canoe Repair | Ladysmith Canoe Repair | Lake Cowichan Canoe Repair | Nanaimo Canoe Repair | Parksville Canoe Repair | Port Alberni Canoe Repair | Quadra Island Canoe Repair | Qualicum Canoe Repair | Saltspring Island Canoe Repair | Shawnigan Lake Canoe Repair | Sidney Canoe Repair | Sooke Canoe Repair | Tofino Canoe Repair | Victoria Canoe Repair | BC Canoe Repair | British Columbia Canoe Repair | Canvas Covered Canoe Repair | Wooden Canoe Repair | Cedar Canoe Repair
Copper Canyon Canoe – Canvas Covered Canoes Repaired & RestoredServing Victoria, Nanaimo, & Vancouver Island
Duncan, Cowichan Valley
BC Canada V9L 4E2